SonNeoKaku
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are certain cards forbidden, limited or semi-limited?

Go down

Why are certain cards forbidden, limited or semi-limited? Empty Why are certain cards forbidden, limited or semi-limited?

Post by SonNeoKaku Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Here I list my personal feelings on why certain cards are banned and why other cards have been restricted but not now.

Yes, I know I'm not the first one that's listed reasons why the banlists are the way they are, but all I can add that's different is my opinions on them. The main reason for me doing this is to raise awareness of why cards have the placement they have on the respective lists. I will try to update this whenever a new banlist is released.

That said, here goes.

Below are the lists for forbidden, limited and semi-limited Yu-gi-oh! cards for the march 2013 list.

Currently forbidden

Monsters

Brionac, dragon of the ice barrier
Its effect can be used more than once per turn, and can easily empty your opponet's field. Can also set up graveyard by discarding cards that benefits from being in the graveyard, like Dandylion. I hope this will never come off the list.

Chaos emperor dragon - envoy of the end
Part of the infamous Chaos-garasu combo, the reason why we even have banlists. It's fairly easy to summon and its effect cannot be stopped by Starlight road or Stardust dragon. Would be good in a Lightpulsar deck. This card will never be anything but forbidden, and for good reason.

Cyber-stein
Yes, the cost is high, but the effect is simply too insane. Gets cards like Blue-eyes ultimate, Cyber twin or Cyber end instantly. Has many OTKs, like summoning Cyber twin, equiping it with Megamorph and using Limiter removal. I doubt this will come off forbidden.

Cyber jar
The effect can be abused to an extent, and it clears the field of monsters almost too easy. Can possibly set up for xyz or synchro summoning. It's stopped by Starlight road, though. I doubt it will come off forbidden.

Dark magician of chaos
Had and OTK with Mass driver and Dimension fusion, all of which are banned now. High attack and a very good effect. Prophecy would love this card, so it's even more unlikely this card will ever be anything but forbidden.

Dark strike fighter
First synchro monster ever to be forbidden. Easy to summon, can use it's effect to burn the foe easily after attacking for an easy finish. Was often used in Rescue cat combos. Has a high attack and no synchro restriction. Too abusable, so it probably won't come off the forbidden list.

Destiny HERO disk commander
It turns any and all revival cards into Pot of greed. Can be abused in Zombie world decks. It's highly unlikely this will ever come off the list in any way.

Fiber jar
Resets everything exept life points. Puts itself back into the deck for further abuse, meaning it recycle itself. Would be great in decks that focuses on banishing. It's unlikely it will come off fobidden, ever.

Fishborg blaster
I remember when people were using Superancient deepsea king Coelacanth and Mausoleum of the emperor to bring this card out, easily synchro summoning plenty of Formula synchron and T.G. hyper librarians, sometimes even Red nova dragons. It's an infinetly reusable tuner, although has an restriction to only water, not hard to overcome. This will most likely never come off the list.

Glow-up bulb
I remember when Konami REALLY wanted to kill plants and banned this with Spore. This card has a very good effect, although it can only be used once per duel, and it sets up the graveyard to an extent. Can be put into almost any synchro deck. Since Spore came off, it's not impossible that this will be limited or semi-limited in the future, despite of how pointless that would be. I doubt that will happen anytime soon, if ever.

Goyo guardian
A card I despise. No synchro restrictions, insane attack for a lv 6, great effect that allows for anything from further synchro or xyz summoning to getting your opponent's beatsticks. I hope this will stay forbidden.

Magical scientist
Summonable with One for one (did I just invent a word again?). It has an FTK with Catapult turtle. That or xyz, or possibly even synchro, summoning. Highly unlikely it will get off the list.

Magician of faith
Although the game is too fast for setting monsters and such, it's still a great and even abusable effect. Does anyone remember Goat control or the Tsukuyomi lockdown? All in all, I don't think it will ever come off the list.

Makyura the destructor
No, it will never be anything but forbidden. Ever. Its effect defies the game as a whole. It would have been abused to death since the effect activates if it's detached as a xyz material. Seriously, this card will never be allowed.

Mind master
An easy and abusable effect. With Brain research lab or Telekinetic charging cell, you don't have to pay any life points. Pretty much a pyschic substitoad. Can be summoned with One for one or Emergency teleport. This thing has many OTKs and FTKs. I remember Caam and psychic borg being used a lot. I doubt this card will ever come back.

Rescue cat
A card I really despise. The effect is too easy and abusable beyond belief. Pretty much an instant synchro/xyz summon. Was there anyone that DIDN'T search for X-saber airbellum? Uniflora and Dark desertapir can reuse this card easily. This card will never be allowed.

Sangan
Good effect, a bit TOO good, even. If you've ever used or faced a Tour guide deck, this card was its primary target. Seriously, I think everone has used this card at least once, especialy Tour guide. Although it cannot use its effect when detached as an xyz material, it's still one of the most staple, abusable, and most common cards in YGO-history. I was kinda suprised it was banned, I wondered what took them so long to finally do it. When Tour guide dies, this card MIGHT go back to limited, but as for now, there's little to no hope.

Sinister serpent
The perfect tribute fodder for pretty much anything. Was often used in conjunction with The dark door or Lightning vortex. A little slow for today's game, but it's still pretty damn good. This should stay banned.

Substitoad
The key to the infamous frog FTK. I was so glad it was banned, honestly. Reusable effect, infamously combos with Mass driver. Keep this thing forbidden.

Thousand-eyes restrict
Nope, won't ever happen. If you can't figure out why by just reading the card text, you do not deserve to play Yu-gi-oh. The more experienced players might remember this from the Goat control. Ugh, this card...

Tribe-infecting virus
I remeber when this was in structure decks. Holy hell, that's like the structure decks of today would all contain 3 copies of Raigeki. Anyway, the effect it REALLY powerful and overall just plain unbalanced. Never unforbidden this card! There I go inventing words again...

Trishula, dragon of the ice barrier
Everyone used this card. Although slightly lacking in attack, it makes up for it with a great effect. I hear it has loops with Infernity, but I haven't experienced that first hand. I doubt it will come off the list anytime soon. Also, I've heard Trishula's supposed to be female. Huh.

Victory dragon
For those that doesn't understand, match = best of three. Meaning, if you kill the opponent in the first round of a match, you don't have to play the second or even third round, you win instantly. You can surrender instantly as soon as that happens to save you a game, but the japanese version of this game only allowes surrendering after the 10th turn and your opponent must agree to it. I haven't got a clue if that's true or not, but match-winning effects doesn't need to exist. In other words, keep this card forbidden until the end of time.

Wind-up carrier Zenmaity
First xyz monster ever to be forbidden, and for good reason. Extremely easy to summon in Wind-up decks. No xyz summon restriction, can swarm the field easily and it has many effective loops. This will stay forbidden as long as Wind-ups top. Then again, I think the instant this goes back to limited, Wind-ups will start topping again, so it's best to keep this forbidden.

Witch of the black forest
Like Sangan, but uses def and not attack. Many powerful cards have a def lower than 1500, so it's even better than Sangan. Can be summoned easily with Summoner monk. Keep it forbidden, it's too broad. So to say.

Yata-garasu
It's thanks to this and Chaos emperor dragon we even have banlists. In other words, this card will NEVER be anything but forbidden. It creates lockdowns easily. To hell with this card.

Spells

Brain control
Like Change of heart, but has a cost to it. You can still attack with the monster you take before getting rid of it by tributing or using it for synchro/xyz summoning. Did I mention you can use the effect of the card you take? Yeah, keep it at forbidden.

Butterfly dagger Elma
Loops with Gearfried the iron knight and Ancient library. Said combo lets you draw through your entire deck, leading to a one turn Exodie. I'd say this card must be kept at forbidden, it has too many powerful combos.

Card of safe return
So many archetypes relies on getting stuff back from the graveyard, so this card is more potential than any Pot of greed. It should stay at forbidden.

Change of heart
No cost whatsoever, you get one of your opponents cards to do whatever you want with: attacking, tributing, synchro/xyz summoning, whatever. The monster you take can even be face-down. If you think this card should be anything but forbidden, you obviously have never faced or used this card. NEVER unban this card, Konami!

Cold wave
It freezes the spell and trap zone for a good time. Kinda like Swords of revealing light or One day of peace for the spell and trap zone. Pretty much makes the opponent rely solely on monsters for a while, which locks some decks out completely. Personally, I hate this card, and I hope it stays forbidden.

Confiscation
You get to see your opponent's hand, enough said. Some decks might benefit from this, like Dark world, but I doubt even they can't use this card too much. Should be kept at forbidden.

Delinquent duo
I still remember when people used this. Fairly ok cost for such a good effect. I really shouldn't have to explain why, just read the text. Forbidden suits it quite well.

Future fusion
People used this like a Painful choice rather than actually fusion summon with it. Dragon decks always had one of these. I really don't like this card, I'm glad it's finally forbidden, and it should stay that way.

Giant trunade
It bypasses Starlight road, and it's very annoying in tag duels (although no one cares about those). Can also reuse stuff like Swords of revealing light or Future fusion. I know it doesn't sound so bad when you first read it, but trust me when I say this is more powerful than Heavy storm in many ways. This card deserves to be forbidden, and I can't believe it was taken off and Heavy storm was forbidden for a time.

Graceful charity
Can be better than Pot of greed, especially since you draw first and THEN discard. Works well with Dark world or Fabled, or individual cards like Dandylion or good ol' Malicious. In other words, keep it here at forbidden.

Harpie's feather duster
Read the text, I'm sure you'll understand why this will be forbidden until the end of time.

Last will
Damn easy to use in today's game, it's like a spell version of Sangan, but even better. The effect can be used at any time, including the battle phase. This will never be unforbidden. You know what I mean.

Mass driver
So many damn FTK. Honestly, most cards are banned because of easy FTKs, and this is the cause of many. Substitoad is the most common one, so the game benefits greatly for the banning of both. They should be kept that way.

Metamorphosis
Dear god, this card. What the hell where they thinking? This card has so many god damn combos it's outright silly. Even tokens can be used for this card, turning a simple lv 1 token into a Thousand-eyes restrict. Other common picks include Cyber twin for any lv 8 or Cyber end or Naturia exterio for any lv 10. Gagaga magician would probably be a good target for this card. Konami, keep this card at forbidden, for all out sakes!

Mirage of nightmare
Very good with Infernity or Dark world. Can be a simple draw machine if you destroy it quickly, like with Mystical space typhoon or Emergency provisions. I doubt this will ever come off the list.

Painful choice
Easy graveyard manipulation. Dandylion, Plaguespreader or Malicious are just a few of the cards that's ideal to pick. This will never be unforbidden.

Pot of greed
Seriously, name any deck back in the day that didn't use this card! So many archetypes have a lot of draw engines anyway, and this card is way too fast and too simple and has no drawback whatsoever. This used to be the staple of all staples. Keep this at forbidden, there's enough draw power in this game as it is.

Premature burial
Searchable via Hidden armory, even if it's in the graveyard. Has many good combos, most of its key cards now banned. I doubt it will ever come off the list.

Raigeki
This card must NEVER be anything but forbidden. Why? Read its effect.

Snatch steal
PERMANENTLY TAKE AN OPPONENT'S MONSTER, HELLO?!! The "drawback" doesn't help much, especially if you have a Bad reaction to simochi or just keep attacking with the monster. You can also simply get rid of the monster with tribute or synchro/xyz summoning. Hidden armory will always find it. Mystical space typhoon stops it rather easily, and equip spells as a whole have very short lifespan in the current game, but it's still VERY powerful and can be hard to stop once it actually works. Keep it at forbidden, no matter what. God, the bad memories I have with this card...

Temple of the kings
No card should ever allow you to activate traps without setting them. The other effect is just outright insane! It's one of the few cards I actually remember being forbidden upon release.

The forceful sentry
Cards are useless in the deck, so this card is in a way more powerful than Confiscation. No activation cost. Also lets you see your opponent's hand. Yeah, forbidden'd.

Traps

Crush card virus
Kills strong cards with very little effort. Sangan was most likely the most common target, and Tour guide would be even more common if this gets unbanned. This went to limited for a short time, a mistake that must never be repeated.

Exchange of the spirit
Can potentially leave the opponent with no deck. I shouldn't have to say much more than that. Keep it at forbidden.

Imperial order
Stops any spell, and you can chose to pay or not. It will never come off the list, but it won't suprise me if it will get a slightly more balanced version someday, like with a higher cost that cannot be opted out.

Last turn
Let's just say some cards can prevent special summoning, allowing you to win instantly. There are a lot of life point manipulating effects, like Backs to the wall, so activating it wouldn't be too hard. Keep this forbidden, nothing else.

Ring of destruction
Everyone used this card once, and it caused too many draws. Spell of pain or Barrel behind the door would make this card a friggin' beast. Needs to be at forbidden, it's too abusable.

Royal oppression
Negating the effect that would summon is not the same as negating a summon. The former is vastly surperior, so this card can stop a huge variety of cards Solemn warning cannot touch. It also can't be used in the Damage step. In other words, it's one of the best negaters in the game, and it should stay at forbidden.

Sixth sense (never released in english)
To those who don't know, what this card does is that you first pick two numbers from 1 to 6, then you roll a dice. If the result is the same as the numbers you pick, you draw that many cards. If not, you discard the number of cars the dice shows from the top of your deck to the graveyard. Many decks benefits from having cards discarded, and pretty much every deck benefits from drawing cards. This card has never been released in english, and if it would be released, it'd be banned upon release anyway. For good reason.

Time seal
Not drawing is way more devastating than drawing and discaring, as a lot of cards benefits from being in the graveyard. Mask of darkness and Tsukuyomi are both out, so lockdowns would ensue if this came off.

Trap dustshoot
The restriction doesn't help all that much, especially if this card is used early. I'm not 100% sure if it will stay forbidden, but it sure
deserves it.

Limited

Monsters

Black luster soldier - envoy of the beginning
WHAT THE HELL KONAMI I THOUGH YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTOOD HOW YOUR OWN GAME WORKS SERIOUSLY PUT THIS CARD BACK INTO THE ABYSS OF FORBIDDEN NEXT TO CHAOS EMPEROR DRAGON WHERE IT BELONGS

Blackwing - Gale the whirlwind
Halves a monster's attack and def PERMANENTLY, can be done once per turn. Easily special summoned AND it's a universal tuner. If kept at at semi-limited or unlimited, it would swarm easily, each halving a monster's stats. This is my all-time favorite card, but even I know it should be kept at limited. Moving it to forbidden would be an overkill to Blackwings, as they haven't topped in forever. MIGHT drop to semi-limited for a short period just to give Blackwings a boost sometimes, but even then it would find its way back to limited very quickly. In short: keep it at limited.

Chaos sorcerer
Should definitely be kept at limited. As soon as it went to any other tier, other than forbidden, it was abused very quickly. This forever belongs at limited, and its stronger counterpart Black luster soldier SHOULD GO BACK TO FORBIDDEN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Dark armed dragon
Can OTK if kept at 3. It's not quite as powerful that it should be forbidden, so limited is perfect for this card. I doubt it will move to any other tier sometime soon.

Dandylion
Has many crazy combos when kept at another list. Foolish burial and Quickdraw synchron are just two examples. I don't think it deserves to be forbidden, so this is the perfect place for it.

Elemental HERO Stratos
Universal HERO searcher, its effect activates even upon special summoning. Its other effect is not too bad, either. Decent attack. Should be kept at limited.

Evigishki gustkraken
I hear this has loops in Hieratic decks, but I haven't seen that much of it yet. Still, it has a good effect and it's easy to reuse (or so I hear). Should probably be kept at limited, but I'm not too experienced with Evigishkis.

Exodia and all four of its parts
Exodia should be at 1, it's practically a tradition from now.

Formula synchron
Good draw engine. T.G. hyper librarian is its best friend. Required for some synchro monsters, like Shooting star dragon. There are other synchro tuners, but not many. Should be kept at limited, but it won't suprise me if it gets forbidden someday, even if it's just for a single list.

Gladiator best Bestiari
The Mystical space typhoon of the gladiator beasts. Might go to semi-limited for a short while to get Gladiator beasts a boost sometime, but it will end up in limited where it belongs regardless.

Gorz the emissary of darkness
Stops OTKs and summons a token (or inflict damage). Restriction is not that hard, and the payoff is pretty damn good. All in all, it should be kept at limited.

Honest
One of the most splashable cards there is. It's so damn common I'm sick of it. I wish it would get forbidden simply because of how annoying it is, but even I realize that won't probably ever happen. Limited is good enough, but not anything below.

Inzektor dragonfly
Anyone else sick of everyone using Inzektors or Wind-ups? I sure am. This card swarms and causes loops. I don't even want to talk about these archetypes too much since they're EVERYWHERE, but this card should be kept at limited. Might go to forbidden for a while when Konami finally want to help kill Inzektors for a bit.

Inzektor hornet
The key to all Inzektor decks. Should be kept at limited, since you only need one to loop with. Like dragonfly, it might move to forbidden a short while to try to get all the rage for Inzektors to die down a bit, but it will end up in limited again for sure.

Legendary six samurai - Shi en
Very annoying effect, and should be kept at limited. Rather easy to summon, too. I really don't like this card, it's like Chevalier de fluer but more common and even better. If six samurais top too much, this will be a good card to put at forbidden to die them down for a while.

Lonefire blossom
Instantly summons Tytannial or any other plant of your choice. Limited fits this card nicely.

Mezuki
If there's one thing zombies need, it's more revival power. Or maybe it's the exact opposite. Limited is its home, but MIGHT come to semi to give zombies a slight boost someday, but it will go back to limited anyway.

Morphing jar
A little slow by todays standards if one tries to use Tsukuyomi on it, but it's a nasty effect regardless. As usual, some cards benefit from it, like Dark world. It used to be part of OTKs, but is very hidered in that regard since Book of moon is limited. In the end, it's still a good card and limited fits it perfectly.

Necroface
Any deck focusing on removing from play abused this card to no end. The most common combo was chosing it with Gold sarcophagus while Soul absortption was out. Then there was the Necromill OTK and whatnot, this card was kinda insane in the right hands. It should stay at limited.

Neo-spacian grand mole
Another card I despise. Sure, it must attack to activate its effect, but it can stop pretty much any monster in existence. Synchros/xyz/fusions goes back to the extra deck (which should be called special deck, but whatever), no matter their power. You do have to waste a normal summon on it, at least that's the most common way to get it out, but it will most likely be worth it. Keep it at limited.

Night assailant
If it's not kept at limited, it will loop itself, something Snipe hunter would love. Common target for Tour guide. It's not broken enough to go to forbidden, so limited is the only choice, really.

Plaguespreader zombie
Really good revival effect, and can be reused with Burial from a different dimension. Limited is perfect for it.

Red-eyes darkness metal dragon
God, I still remember all those god damn dragon decks where two of three copies of this would run at the same time thanks to Future fusion. Guess dragons needed one more punch in the face, but it would have been even too unfair to move it to forbidden. Might go down once dragon decks aren't as common, which might take a while.

T.G. hyper librarian
High attack for a lv 5. You draw a card even if your opponet synchro summons. Then again, with Inzektors and Wind-ups everywhere now, that's not much of an issue. Still, most synchro based decks can abuse this card if kept at semi-limited or unlimited. However, I honestly think it will move to forbidden some time.

T.G. striker
I hear it has a few loops and such, but I haven't seen many of those yet. They ought to be good, though, since it's here after all. Has a nice Cyber dragon effect. Searcher and universal tuner. Limited is probably a good place for it.

Wind-up magician
Easily xyz summons when using its effect for a copy of itself. Swarms rather easily. Keep it at limited as long as Wind-ups are topping, which will last a while.

Spells

Allure of darkness
The most staple increase draw card since Pot of greed. Some cards denefits from it, like Necroface. Should be kept at limited

Black whirwind
Godsend to any Blackwing deck. As a Blackwing user, yeah, this card makes Blackwings a little too fast if not kept at limited. Might move to semi for a short while just to give Blackwings a boost.

Book of moon
Pretty much stops any effect and sets them in defense mode, and def is oftenly lacking in today's powerful cards. A very effetive anti-meta. I truly despise this card, so limited is good for it.

Burial from a different dimension
Reuses a lot of effects, like Plaguespreader. Would be abused if kept at anything below limited, and forbidden might be overdoing it. Keep it at limited.

Card destruction
Sets up both graveyards and hands, useful for Dark world and Fabled, what more do you need? Should be kept at limited.

Charge of the light brigade
Universal searcher for Lightsworns. Should be kept at limited. The only reason it would go below limited would be if Konami wanted to give Lightsworns another boost, and the only reason it would go to forbidden would be if they topped like mad. Neither situation seems likely for now.

Dark hole
Sure, it's powerful, but Starlight road and The huge revolution is over are common in decks, so this came off forbidden. Honestly, it might go back to forbidden someday, but it won't happen for some time.

Foolish burial
Instant graveyard manipulation. Dandylion, Spore, Malicious or Plaguespreader are just a few examples of good cards to dump. Since it's so useful in today's game, it should be kept at limited, or it might go to forbidden for a while.

Gateway of the six
Zenmaity for six samurais. This card makes samurais simply insane, anything more than one would result in a constant searching for six samurais. Should be kept at limited, but might go to forbidden to cool off six samurais.

Heavy storm
Dark hole for spells and traps. Haven't we all at one point in time simply set everything on our first turn only to have the opponent use a Heavy storm? With Starlight road, it's not as much of a threat anymore, but it's still a very powerful card. Keep it at limited.

Infernity launcher
I hear it loops if kept at anything below limited, but I'm not too experienced with Inferities. It should be kept at limited regardless.

Limiter removal
Very usable and would be crazy if it was even as much as semi-limited. Most people get rid of the monsters via synchro/xyz summoning, anyway. If the opponent even survives, that is. Should be kept at limited.

Mind control
Like Change of heart, but you can't attack or tribute the monster. You can still use its effect and synchro/xyz summon with it, perhaps even ritual summon. Unlike Brain control, it can even take face-down monsters, so it can leave your opponent's field open for direct attacks. This card will get forbidden, it's just a matter of time.

Monster gate
A lot of archetypes can abuse it, like Hieratics. I haven't seen that much of it, but I understand why it's regarded as good. People tend to like card that thins the deck, I've noticed. Keep it at limited.

Monster reborn
KONAMI JUST WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING THIS CARD IS TOO FAST AND TOO GOOD FOR TODAY'S GAME IT WAS TOO GOOD IN 2005 AND IT'S EVEN MORE ABUSABLE TODAY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT'S SACRED PUT THIS BACK AT FORBIDDEN AND NEVER LET IT GO TO LIMITED SEMI-LIMITED OR UNLIMITED EVER AGAIN

One day of peace
The new Swords of revealing light. Kinda like Cold wave in a sense, and it even increases draw a bit. I haven't even got a copy of this card yet, and even I see why it's so good. It has a few OTKs and is usable in stall decks. I hear it can be looped by Evigishkis to deck out people in one turn. If not moved to forbidden, at least have it kept at limited.

One for one
Used to be insane with frogs, plants and mind master decks. It's still pretty good, and I know putting it below limited will only cause people to abuse or even loop it, so it's best to keep it at limited.

Pot of avarice
When I first got this card back in 2007, I thought it was broken as shit, and I couldn't believe it was unlimited. My opinion has not changed since, and I'm glad it got the recognition it deserves. Meaning people a lot smarter than me started using it and showed Konami just how powerful it can be, so it was finally put in limited where it belongs. It's possible it might go to forbidden, or maybe even get a "fair version" where you do not draw after putting the cards back.

Primal seed
It will have many loops if kept at anything below limited. At least while Black luster soldier is around, when it's banned, this card will go to unlimited. THAT WAS A CHALLENGE KONAMI BAN BLACK LUSTER SOLDIER ALREADY

Reinforcement of the army
Universal searcher for warriors. Keep it at limited.

Scapegoat
Please tell me I'm not the only one that remembers Goat control. Anyway, there are a lot more piercing cards today, but this can still stall. It can even be used for easy synchro summoning. Perhaps a little slow by today's standards, but it will find new ways to exploit it once it goes belows limited, so keep it here.

Traps

Ceasefire
The best burn card in today's game. It allows for an easy finish. Used in the same way Ring of destruction was back in the day. Keep it as it is, i.e. limited.

Magical explosion
It has an FTK that was common once. If it goes below it, the FTK will become even more common. FTKs shouldn't exist, so keep it at limited.

Return from the different dimension
Sets up for OTKs and can get rid of the monsters with synchro/xyz summoning. Good in decks that focuses on banishing cards. Ah, I still remember when it was called remove from play, good times. Anyway, keep this card in limited, it's not broken enough to go to forbidden.

Solemn judgement
Half your lifepoints for the negating of anything exept an attack. No matter what your lifepoints are, you can always pay for this card. Keep it here at limited.

Solemn warning
I personally prefer Bottomless trap hole, but this card can hit a lot of cards Bottomless cannot touch. A great card that can be put in almost any deck, since special summoning is so common. Keep it at limited, but semi-limited isn't too bad either.

The transmigration prophecy
This card might be the reason revival cards are moving downward the lists, you can just shuffle the targets back into the deck again. I still hate Monster reborn, though. Anyway, this card can loop itself if kept at anything else, so limited is where it belongs.

Ultimate offering
Fairly low cost to swarm the field, if able. Blackwings can abuse it with Black whirlwind out. Allows for easy synchro/xyz summons. A lot of archetypes can use this card. Keep it at limited, I doubt it will be forbidden.

Wall of revealing light
A really good stall card. Can be used with Self destruct button, Last turn (thank god it's forbidden) or set up a Reversal quiz OTK. Limited does it good.

Semi-limited

Monsters

Archlord Kristya
Very powerful and seals special summons, and is very hard to get rid of completely since it returns to the top of the deck. Should go to limited, but it's not quite as broken enough for forbidden, at least not yet.

Card trooper
Good miller and becomes a good beatstick. Sets up the graveyard. Semi-limited does it good, I doubt that will change.

Derbis dragon
It can target a lot of good cards, especially in plant decks. Since a lot of powerful dragon synchros have been banned as of late, this card's poularity has faded. Might even go back to unlimited one day.

Destiny HERO Malicious
Overall a great effect for synchro or even xyz summoning. If it was at limited, it couldn't use its effect. If at unlimited, it would be exploited like mad, so it belongs at semi-limited.

Deworlen, tiger king of the ice barrier
It loops with Symbol of heritage, which only works if it's unlimited. It's not powerful enough to go to limited, so here it is.

Reborn tengu
The new Malicious. Just like Malicious, it can't use its effect if at limited and would be too abusable if umlimited. This is a pretty damn usable card overall, and it should be kept at semi-limited.

Rescue rabbit
If it's not Wind-ups or Inzektors, it's Dino-rabbit. I'm so sick of this card, and all the evolzar cards it brings out. It's supposed to be a nerfed Rescue rabbit, but somehow it's almost just as exploitable as the original. Its effect can only be used once per turn, which is nice, but it's still damn good. It will most likely go to limited when Konami gets sick of evolzars, too.

Summoner monk
Easily brings out cards like Reborn tengu, Sacred crane or other abusable lv 4 monsters for an easy xyz summon. I still remember when this always brought out a Rescue cat. Then again, it has a fair cost, so it should be kept at semi-limited. Might go to limited when Konami gets sick of xyz.

The agent of mystery - earth
Universal searcher for Agents, much like Stratos is for HEROs. I'm not the only one that remembers when hero was not written in all caps, right? This game is stupid sometimes. Anyhow, nobody seems to care about Agents today, so it went back to limited. Might go to unlimited once Agents have completely died off, although that sort of move will sorta boost it.

Thunder king Rai-oh
One of the best anti-meta monsters. I think people started using this because they're sick of all the god damn Wind-ups, Inzektors and Dino-rabbit decks. Once they die down, this card will die down, too.

Tour guide from the underworld
Instant xyz faggotry. Tour bus from the underworld is a common target for me personally, and everyone used to pick Sangan. This card and Sangan could be put into any xyz oriented deck, and with Sangan forbidden, this might have a slightly harder time to get around, so to say. Who am I kidding, of course it will be around for a long time, put it at limited already!

Tragoedia
Can be summoned fairly easily, and it can manipulate its level for synchro/xyz summons. Should be kept at semi-limited.

Tsukuyomi
Oh, god, the memories. I really must be the only one that rembers how this card was a part of Goat control. Like a monster version of Book of moon, which I REALLY dislike. I don't really dislike this card, but it annoys me how Konami is putting cards that has been forbidden for so long back to lower tiers. It's just a matter of time before they're dumb enough to bring back [inset a forbidden card you personally dislike]. To be honest, this card isn't as abusable as it once was, but I know people will find use of it somehow. Will most likely go to unlimited until someone finds a broken-ass combo with this card. Can't wait for a new Goat control or something equally as lame.

Spells

A hero lives
Everyone picks Stratos for this card. The cost is fairly high, though, so it might be kept at semi-limited or maybe even limited.

Advanced ritual art
Not as powerful as it once were. While still good, it's not as common anymore. I still dislike the Demise and Doom combos, but I haven't seen those in a while. Overall, keep it at semi-limited. For now.

Chain strike
Has a few OTKs, and can be more powerful than Ceasefire if used right. Requires slightly more skill than Ceasefire, but it's still very useful. Burn decks are my least favorite of all deck types, I think it's more cowardice and overall very lame. Keep it at semi-limited nontheless.

E - emergency call
With this and Reinforcement of the army and even Stratos, Elementals have enough search power as it is. If Elementals starts topping, move this to limited. Otherwise, it belongs here at semi-limited.

Hieratic seal of convocation
Same as emergency call, but for Hieratics. In other words, keep it at semi-limited, too.

Magical stone excavation
Very high cost, but still a good effect. Keep it at semi-limited.

Pot of duality
I personally find it hard to work with since it seals special summons, but it's still a great card. I remember when people went crazy for this card before it was featured in a tin. It might find its way into more tins in the future, and for good reason; it's a pretty staple card without being far too abusable. Keep it at semi-limited until people learn to truly abuse it.

Reasoning
Free monster summon or free monster dump, pick your poison. It's not quite as used nowadays, so it went to semi-limited. As soon as it goes to unlimited, which will most likely happen since nobody cares about this card right now, people will start using it again. Keep it at semi-limited or limited, semi-limited fits it more in today's game.

Royal tribute
Getting this on the first turn is bad news, to put it VERY mildly. You also get to see your opponent's hand. When Necrovalley decks become even more of a threat, this will go up. For now, keep it semi-limited.

Traps

Bottomless trap hole
Stops a lot of cards and even removes them from play as a bonus. Sorry, I meant banishing, still a little unused to the weird lingo changes. From what I understand, it even hits multiple cards, but I haven't experienced that so much. A common staple in many decks. Keep it semi-limited.

Mirror force
Stopped by Starlight road, but it's still VERY powerful once it works. Might have gone down due to swarming being so common today, and the fact that Starlight road is pretty much a staple now. Should stay at semi-limited.

Ojama trio
Sure, it can be used for synchros, but they clog the field and hurt when they go away. Have I mentioned how I dislike burn decks? I do. Keep it at semi-limited or move it to limited.

Torrental tribute
Same like Mirror force: stopped easily by Starlight road and prevents swarming. Dark hole in trap form. Should be kept at semi-limited to discurage swarming.

Last edited by SonNeoKaku on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:22 am; edited 2 times in total
SonNeoKaku
SonNeoKaku
Admin

http://sonneokaku.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Why are certain cards forbidden, limited or semi-limited? Empty Re: Why are certain cards forbidden, limited or semi-limited?

Post by SonNeoKaku Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Previously forbidden, limited or semi-limited

Monsters

Abyss soldier
Was hit due to abuse with Sinister serpent. They then realised what was the more broken card, and this went back to unlimited eventually. I doubt it will come back.

Apprentice magician
Used to search out Magician of faith, Old vindictive magician or Hand of Nephtys. Guess people lost interest once Magician of faith got forbidden.

Black rose dragon
I can't be the only one that remembers the horrors of Derbis-hime, right? Even Akiza used it in Tag force! Nukes the field and is fairly easy to get out. I suppose it's hard to recover from it yourself once you use it, and a lot of key cards has been restricted, so this came off the list. Personally, I still dislike it.

Blackwing - Kalut the moon shadow
Nobody uses Blackwings today, so this went back to unlimited to give them a slight boost. As a Blackwing user, though, I think this card is pretty good. I'm kinda glad it went back, although it's simply because Blackwings suck in todays game.

Breaker the magical warrior
Was once forbidden since a monster with 1900 attack was really good, or having a built-in Mystical space typhoon and still having 1600 attack was regarded as too powerful. It's tame by today's standards, even if it's a bit annoying. I doubt it will ever come back.

Cyber dragon
Good attack and decent summoning effect. Not much more than that, though. Was perhaps hit also because of its fusion monsters. I doubt this will come back, there are better cards focusing on swarming today.

D.D. assailant
Good effect for its time, but not as good as warrior lady. The toolbox decks were common back then, so it was it. They're not anymore, so this card came off.

D.D. warrior lady
Can't say I like this card, it used to be everywhere once. Was used like a Man-eater bug on drugs or something. Not as usable anymore, and grand mole is better, anyway. I doubt this will come back on the list.

Dark scorpion - chick the yellow
Was hit because of abuse with Makyura and Call of the haunted. One one of these three cards are broken as shit, and it's sure as hell not this cards. Will NEVER come back on the lists.

Demise, king of armageddon
Not even Chaos emperor dragon, one of the most broken and unbalanced cards in existence, was unbalanced enough NOT to destroy itself! Seriously, this card is annoying as hell, and it has a few OTKs behind it. No one use this card anymore, perhaps thanks to Starlight road, so it went off. I still despise it, though.

Exiled force
Another common ingredient in the toolbox decks, but it came off as soon as said decks died. Doubt it will ever return.

Goblin zombie
Sangan on drugs for zombies. Very few seems to use three, anyway. However, I still think this card is very powerful, but not enough to get itself back on the list.

Green baboon, defender of the forest
It was nerfed so it can't activate its effect during the damage step, so destroying stuff by battle won't trigger it. Before that, it was easy to summon and hard to get rid of. Since the change, it quickly came off, and will probably stay unlimited.

The gadgets
They used to be among the most common decks, but they're not as powerful anymore. I doubt people used three copies per gadget.

Injection fairy Lily
Was regarded as too strong and too fast once. There's better beatsticks than this one, trust me.

Jinzo
Holy hell, was this card everywhere. Today's game is too slow for tributes, so this faded in popularity. I doubt people would use three, anyway. Honestly, though, I still don't like this card.

Judgement dragon
The reason Lightsworns were so feared once. I hate cards that nukes the field but itself, and this card is one of them. Yes, Starlight road can stop it, but still. Not only that, but it's VERY strong and can OTK if you have three copies available. In a way, it's more broken than Chaos emperor dragon, and yet not. Lightsworns haven't topped as of late, but I find it silly how Charge of the light brigade is limited while this card is unlimited. Draw and search power is appearantly vastly more devestating than nukes that destroys everything but themselves. I hope this comes back to semi-limited at least.

Light and darkness dragon
Tributes are concidered slow, so this came off the list. I think it's still powerful, but not many would use more than two, anyway. Was also part of Perfect circle.

Lumina, lightsworn summoner
Pretty good effect. Then again, nobody seems to care about Lightsworns anymore, so this went back to unlimited. Whenever Lightsworns start topping, Lumina will become semi-limited, at least.

Manticore of darkness
It has an OTK, but it's not very reliable. It's still a decent card, though.

Marauding captain
Can stall if you have two on the field. Summons another monster for the usual synchro/xyz bullshit. I really don't like this card, but I doubt it will come back on the list.

Marshmallon
Burns and stalls. I know there are a lot of piercing effects today, but that doesn't change the fact that this is probably the perfect monster for stalling. This card should be limited and nothing less, I don't care how oh-so different the game is today.

Mask of darkness
Was part of the Tsukuyomi lockdown, but Time seal is banned, so that won't work anymore. No one cares about this card, despite that the effect is pretty good and it's a trap counterpart to Magician of faith.

Morphing jar #2
I'd say this is still a good card, but people prefer to destroy stuff with effects rather than battle today, so flip effects usually go unnoticed, even with Tsukuyomi around. Still fairly underrated.

Necro gardna
Lightsworns used this card a lot, but they aren't used as much as they once were. This card is annoying, but not too bad, despite being reusable with Burial from a different dimension. Can be kept at unlimited, might come back to semi-limited someday if a new archetype finds use with it.

Phantom of darkness
I hear it was abused with Sky scourge Norleras, but even I can't remember that time in YGO-history too well. Keep it unlimited.

Protector of the sanctuary
Was used with Time seal and Yata-garasu, but both of those are forbidden, so this card came off. I doubt it will find any real use today.

Raiza the storm monarch
It was once the key to most monarch decks. Then the game eventually got faster than the monarchs could keep up with, so this came off eventually.

Reflect bounder
I think chaos decks used it, but they died off with the banning of Chaos emperor and Black luster. I doubt this card will ever make a comeback.

Sacred phoenix of Nephtys
Destroying monsters with effects were common back then, and this could come back AND destroy spells and traps. Then the game changed, better traps picked up and this card died off. Ironic as it is.

Snipe hunter
Gadgets used this card a lot. Actually, this became a staple for a short time, from what I remember. It doesn't have that much use in today's game, though. It's still a card I strongly dislike nontheless.

Spirit reaper
I know piercing effects are getting more and more common, but this is still a very annoying card. It's easier to get rid of than Marshmallon, but it's still annoying. I would say that it should be put back at semi-limited, but there are so many ways besides battle that gets rid of monsters, anyway.

Spore
Good effect, but can only be used once per duel. Few use more than one due to that restriction, so it could have gone from forbidden to unlimited right away. I don't care too much about this card, so keep it at unlimited.

Twin headed behemoth
It used to be a good tribute fodder until its ruiling was changed so it worked like a Spore or Glow-up. It got unlimited with that ruling's release, and it will most likely not ever return.

Treeborn frog
Good tribute fodder, but you can only activate one at a time and only if you have no spells or traps, which can make it very limiting. Might be useful in some decks, but few would use more than one. If it gets exploited, it might go up a bit.

Vampire lord
Pretty much the same as Sacred phoenix. Just like Sacred phoenix, the interest in this card eventually died down, so it came off.

Spells

Book of taiyou
Used in jar decks to reuse effects and force activations. They're not common since most jars are restricted, like Cyber jar or Morphing jar. Should be kept unlimited.

Creature swap
Decks focusing on this card are another deck type I despise. Just because this card isn't used as much today doesn't mean it's not good. I won't mind the day it goes to semi-limited or anything above it, this is a card I really dislike.

Destiny draw
Primary target would be Malicious. Has it's own deck with Diamond dude turbo. Not as good as it used to be, though. Keep it unlimited.

Emergency provisions
Has a few good combos, most of them rely on activating a bunch of traps and chaining them to this card for easy life point gain and get the effects of the cards as well. Has no place in todays game, so keep it where it is.

Emergency teleport
I still remember tele-DAD quite well, but it's pretty much dead now. I hear Gustos are starting to use this card again, so it's possible it might go to semi-limited at least some time in the future.

Fissure
Was a staple once, but no one seems to use this card anymore. Kinda odd, since cards like Starlight road can't touch it. Probably won't get restricted anytime soon.

Gold sarcophagus
Very good with Necroface. The game is overall too slow to wait two whole turns, but it gives you pretty much any card you want. I doubt people would use more than one. Keep it unlimited, but semi-limited would be ok, too.

Level limit - area B
Rank is not the same as level, and Konami wants to promote usage of xyz. I still really, REALLY dislike stalling cards like this, but it's not too unreasonable with xyz monsters around. I guess it can stay at unlimited, but I won't be sad if it ever comes to something above it.

Lightning vortex
Used to be a bit of a staple. Was abused with Sinister serpent and Night assailant. Serpent is forbidden and assailant cannot be looped due to the fact that it's limited, so this came off. It's still a good card, and a fair version of Raigeki.

Mage power
Used to be one of the best equip spells in the game, but equip spells aren't really likely to stick around. Heavy storm is limited and Mystical space typhoon is unlimited, so they're kinda doomed. Keep it at unlimited.

Megamorph
Oftenly leads to OTKs, but equip spells doesn't last that long. Then again, it might give you the boost you need, or criple one of your opponent's monsters. Could be kept here, bit I honestly think it should be semi-limited at least.

Mystical space typhoon
One of the most common staples. It's instant and can be chained. This card is very annoying, but it still kind of a must to keep powerful spells and traps at bay. It should be at semi-limited, unlimited is overdoing it.

Nobleman of crossout
Was a staple back when people used to set monsters. While still fairly potent, it's not useful anymore since few decks sets monsters and instead focus on swarming. Unlimited it is.

Overload fusion
Was used for Chimeratech overdragon together with Future fusion. Future fusion is banned, and nobody seems to use Chimeratech, anyway. Hence, it's unlimited.

Shien's smoke signal
Why the hell did six samurais need this boost? They just won a major tournament! Put this back into semi-limited as long as six samurais are topping.

Smashing ground
Same as fissure.

Swords of revealing light
One of the best stall cards there is. With Heavy storm at limited and Mystical space typhoon unlimited, spells and traps aren't very likely to stay. That doesn't change the fact that this card is as annoying as ever.

United we stand
Possibly the best equip spell of them all. Nobody uses equip spells, and they can be stopped by anything from space tyhpoon to Book of moon. Then again, swarming is VERY common, and it might give the needed boost to finish your opponent off. Should perhaps be at semi-limited, but I know it won't go there since no one cares about equip spells anymore.

Upstart goblin
Decent draw engine, especially since the lifepoint gain comes AFTER you draw. This was hit when Makyura was everyhere, but he was taken care of. In truth, this is nothing compared to Pot of greed.

Call of the haunted
Not as useful as Monster reborn (which should be forbidden) and general interest in this card has dropped. Most people wouldn't use thee copies anyway, so it could might as well go back to semi-limited. Nobody cares about this card enough to bother do that, but whatever.

Deck devestation virus
Pretty much the exact opposite of Crush card virus. I think it's a pretty decent card, I'm suprised people don't use it too much to counter the popular archetypes focusing on getting weaker monsters out to swarm the field, like Wind-ups or Inzektors. Sure, its cost is high, but it sure sould feel good to shut down a few decks for a while. Keep it at unlimited until smart people get a hold of this card.

Drop off
Was hit around the time Time seal got banned. Stopping a draw completely is way better than discarding drawn cards. Two words: Dark world. Honestly, a lot of cards benefits from going to the graveyard today, so this might end up doing favors. Keep it unlimited.

Good goblin housekeeping
It's rather slow for a draw engine, and not a lot of people use it. I'd say people rather use Allure of darkness.

Gravity bind
Same as Level limit - area B. Konami's promoting people to buy xyz monsters, end of story.

Icarus attack
It was hit when Blackwings were topping. They aren't now, and we have Starlight road, so this came off. Until a new winged beast archetype enters the game, it will stay unlimited.

Magic cylinder
NO KONAMI PUT THIS BACK INTO LIMITED OR SEMI-LIMITED WHERE IT BELONGS I KNOW YOU WANT TO DISCOURAGE OTK VIA STRONG ATTACK BUT THIS IS RIDICULOUS

Mind crush
It gets rid of any card of you choice, and the drawback can be good for Dark world decks. It's also a great counterpick for rituals. Nobody seems to use it anymore, so it came off.

Reckless greed
Was hit when draw power was everything. Nobody cares about this card anymore, so it won't make a comeback.

Royal decree
Jinzo in trap form. I really dislike this card, and I hope it will back to the lists sometime and stay there. I know, space typhoon is unlimited and all that stuff, but that doesn't automatically take away my bitterness for this card.

Skill drain
An ok cost to cripple most of today's archetypes. It has many decks focused on it. I really dislike this card, but I know continuous spells and traps won't be around for long. Still, though...
SonNeoKaku
SonNeoKaku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why are certain cards forbidden, limited or semi-limited? Empty Re: Why are certain cards forbidden, limited or semi-limited?

Post by SonNeoKaku Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:45 pm

Cards that might get forbidden, limited or semi-limited

Evolzar laggia or Evolzar dolkka
Might get hit for a while if they decide to restrict Dino-rabbit. Honestly, I think Rescue rabbit will be hit before these two, but a lot of people are equally as sick of these two as they are with the rabbit.

Fire formation - tenki
Basically a new Reinforcement of the army, and gives a slight attack boost. However, you can only activate one at a time, so putting it at limited might be an overkill. Might get semi-limited if people use it enough.

Gozen match or Rivalry of warlords
Can counter if not outright stop a lot of decks, most notably Wind-ups. Granted, spells and traps aren't very likely to stay on the field with space typhoon unlimited and all, but these cards might hinder your opponent just enough. One of these might get a token semi-limited or something, but few would use more than two, anyway. You never know.

Wind-up factory
The Black whirlwind for Wind-ups. Might get restricted in some way when they decide to finally kill Wind-ups.

Starlight road or The huge revolution is over
Stops a lot of good cards, like Heavy storm or Dark hole. Starlight road special summons a Stardust dragon on top of it, and The huge revolution banishes the card it negates. There's a very low chance that they might go to semi-limited, but certainly not limited or forbidden. Few would use three copies, but it's still two very good counters, so to say.

btw, I'm done. Feel free to discuss now.
SonNeoKaku
SonNeoKaku
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum